FYI, Some Additional Closings, Cancellations, and Postponements Due to Coronavirus:
Meet the Street
POSTPONED: The Village will welcome the new owner of the Mount Pleasant Pharmacy...then dine with Don Juan soon.
New Pharmacy owner Anil Kadar, will welcome Villagers and introduce his staff.
Then Don Juan owner Alberto Ferrufino will welcome Villagers for dinner.
Village Interest Group Meetings
FAMILY CAREGIVERS SUPPORT GROUP Will organize an alternative way of meeting soon.
- This interest group is still in the formative stage. At the upcoming meeting we will continue to get to know each other, share what kind of support we hope to give and receive, and discuss our activities in the foreseeable future. We will also share what we know about similar but more experienced caregivers support groups in the DC area.
- As a special treat, a member of the Village, Jill Eden, who directed a National Academies of Sciences study on family caregiving, will give us some highlights from this study and share her personal experiences as a family caregiver.
- If you have not come to a meeting of this group but would like to know more about us, you may receive minutes of the past two meetings by emailing Vivian Ling at email@example.com.
- We look forward to welcoming all newcomers to this group. Feel free to bring snacks to share, tea will be served! We look forward to seeing you!
WASTE MANAGEMENT INTEREST GROUP Will be conducted by telephone. Details will follow.
- The Mount Pleasant Village Waste Management Interest Group (WMIG) is working to make Mount Pleasant a model community for waste management. You—and everyone—have a part to play. We can all do something to reduce our footprint. We’re looking to implement solutions that are local, possible, and involve both seniors and juniors in the community.
- Join our conference call to plan and strategize about recycling, composting, and energy reduction, and to improve education and awareness in our community.
- For more info contact: Julie Byrne firstname.lastname@example.org or Martha Sipple email@example.com
THINK ZERO WASTE — A Request
The Mount Pleasant Village Waste Management Interest Group is researching zero waste management with the idea of encouraging Village members to consider better waste management at the household level.
Do you run a Zero Waste Management household or have practices that encourage Zero Waste?
If so, we would love to learn from you...
Please let us know if you are willing to talk with us about your experience by contacting either Julie Byrne (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Martha Sipple (email@example.com)
AD HOC BOOK CLUB Postponed till further notice.
- The book selection is Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harai.
Monday Night Mah Jong Players:
It is suggested we take a precautionary hiatus from our Monday night mah jong sessions for a while. So, no further Monday Night sessions until further notice. Be well.
For additional information, contact Coach Hoff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MINDFUL MEDITATION GROUP Group will contact members with plans for future meetings.
ACTIVE AGING: JUST MOVE IT!
Don't Stop Exercising! Try these At-Home Programs!
THE WILLIAM YATES EXERIENCE Paused until Mid-April.
MONDAY, WEDNESDAY, AND FRIDAY WALKING GROUP Paused.
On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, Village members gather at the park at Lamont and 17th Streets at 8:30 am for a 45-minute walk (approximately).
TUESDAY AND THURSDAY VILLAGE WALKING GROUP Paused.
On Tuesdays and Thursdays, Village members gather at the park at Lamont and 17th Streets at 10:30 am.
PAST TENSE YOGA STUDIO Paused because of COVID-19.
Past Tense Yoga Studio at Mount Pleasant Street and Park Road has announced that, effective immediately, it is closing on account of the Coronavirus. Yoga equipment will be available for sale at a discount this weekend. See www.pasttensestudio.com.
Saturday mornings, 10:00 am
YOGA AT MOUNT PLEASANT LIBRARY Closed.
GAME NIGHT Paused until further notice.
Tuesday, 5:00 - 7:00 pm at Dos Gringos.
COFFEE HOUR Paused until further notice.
Thursday, 9:30 am at Dos Gringos
Thanks to Village Hangouts - Purple Patch, Marx Café, and Dos Gringos!
DC PUBLIC LIBRARIES Temorarily closed.
THE MOUNT PLEASANT BOOK SALE Cancelled.
The weekly Friends of the Mount Pleasant Library book sale scheduled for tomorrow, Saturday March 14, has been cancelled. The entire DC Public Library system will be closed from Monday, March 16 for the rest of March.
DC SENIOR WELLNESS CENTERS Temporarily closed.
All DC Department of Aging-funded Senior Wellness Centers and community dining sites will be temporarily closed for activities, effective Monday, March 16 – March 31. Meals will be available for pick-up at each site between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm for current participants. Adult Day Health Centers will remain open.
Contact 202-724-5626 for more information.
GALA HISPANIC THEATRE PERFORMANCES Cancelled.
GALA Hispanic Theatre, 3333 14th St, has cancelled performances from March 16–31 due to the Corona virus. However, the public performance of Rigoberta, ¿dónde estás? A Journey Through Guatemala—a bilingual play for children—on Saturday, March 14, will be presented as scheduled at 3:00 pm. Those with tickets to the performances on March 21 and March 28 can exchange them for the March 14 performance or for a performance in the Fall
Previously Reported Cancellations and Postponements
VILLAGE AND ALL SOULS SESSION ON HOUSING OPTIONS
Sunday, March 15
This session on housing options, the third in the 3-part series, "Preparing to Grow Older Successfully," has been postponed due to concerns about the Covid-19 virus. This workshop, sponsored by the Silver Souls of All Souls Church and Mount Pleasant Village, was planned for 1:00 to 2:30 pm on next Sunday, March 15 at All Souls Church at 16th and Harvard Sts. We will reschedule this session for a future date and let you know as soon as we have one. Reservations made online, with a $10 fee, will be honored then. Happily, our speaker, Dixcy Bosley-Smith, from Iona Senior Services, is pleased to work with us on a new date, speaking on housing options for seniors.
ACTIVE WELLNESS PROGRAM AT ST. ALBANS Cancelled March 12-27.
Iona Senior Service Active Wellness Program at St Albans will be closed for activities March 12–27. Iona is coordinating with the DC Department of Aging and Community Living to continue to provide boxed lunches for pickup by participants Monday - Friday, 11:50 am to 12:00 pm. For updated information, see the Iona website: www.iona.org, or call 202-895-9448.
AN EVENING OF IRISH MUSIC WITH JIM FAY AT MARX CAFE Rescheduled.
This intimate evening of performance and discussion of Celtic tunes with local singer/songwriter Jim Fay has been rescheduled from March 15 to Sunday March 22 at 8:00 pm at Marx Cafe, 3203 Mount Pleasant St.
THIRD THURSDAY END-OF-LIFE CONVERSATION: MINDFULNESS WITH NIEL ROSENA Postponed, date TBD.
The Third Thursday discussion, Mindfulness with Niel Rosen, sponsored by Iona Senior Services and scheduled for Thursday, March 19 at the Tenley-Friendship Neighborhood Library, has been postponed and will be rescheduled at a later date. Contact: Lena Frumin 202-895-9485.
THE 21%: THE LIVES OF ARAB CITIZENS OF ISRAEL Postponed until Fall.
This exploration of the lives of Arab citizens of Israel, scheduled for March 22 at the DC Jewish Community Center, has been postponed until the fall of 2020. Go here for information.
The opening reception and gallery talk scheduled for April 4 has been cancelled. However, the visual art exhibit, Another Fine Mess by Shipside and Beggs, will be installed and available at the American University Art Museum for its full run from April 7 to August 9. See solasnua.org for updates.
SOLAS NUA ART OPENING AT AU ART MUSEUM Cancelled.